The Episcopal Church of

Grace and Resurrection

GET TO KNOW US!

We believe the Holy Spirit draws all God's people to Christ and equips believers for personal growth and service to the church. The church’s role is to glorify God and serve those in need.

ABOUT US

We believe the Holy Spirit draws all God's people to Christ and equips believers for personal growth and service to the church. The church’s role is to glorify God and serve those in need. At the The Episcopal Church of Grace and Resurrection we welcome you to our family bring you talents and time to be fellowships other likeminded believeers.

OUR HISTORY - Grace Episcopal Church

1907

A group of Episcopalians in a private home started what was later called Grace Episcopal Church

1912

 

 

1943

The Rev. Arthur G. Roberts served Grace Church from 1912 until November 1941

Grace Episcopal Church was consecrated on November 28th 1943 by Bishop DeWolfe

1956

 

1968

 

1969

 

 

1999

The first Rector, the Rev. Robert A Brown was installed

The second Rector of Grace the Rev. William Russell was installed

The third Rector of Grace the Rev. William Howard Melish was installed

The Reverend Canon Leopold C. Baynes was installed and served until retirement on May 28th 2015. He was the first Black Rector to serve at Grace Church.

2015

Grace Episcopal Church held its last service on May 31th 2015. It was deconsecrated on December 7th 2015 at a service officiated by The Right Reverend Lawrence C. Provenzano.

OUR HISTORY - Resurrection Episcopal Church

1923

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1930

 

 

 

 

1940

 

 

 

 

1952

 

 

 

 

 

1957

 

 

 

 

 

1962

 

 

 

 

1963

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1969

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1970

 

 

 

 

1986

 

 

1999

 

 

2012

The Reverend Adolphus Nero, obtained permission from the Reverend Arthur Roberts of Grace Episcopal Church in Corona to celebrate a 6:00 AM Mass on Easter Sunday

 

This small group of Christians first rented a basement, then a storefront, and later with financial assistance from the Diocese, graduated to a two story building on 32nd Ave near 104th Street in East Elmhurst.

 

The Reverend Ebenezer Holman, formerly of St. Cyprians, Hampton, Virginia, became Vicar of the Resurrection

 

Membership at Resurrection increased so rapidly that in the early 1940s a decision was made to acquire a new site. 

 

Father Hamilton accompanied by Bishop DeWolfe led some 300 members into their new spiritual home at the corner of 101st St and 32nd Ave

 

Bishop DeWolfe appointed The Reverend Harold Louis Wright, who was a deacon and a recent Seminary graduate. He was ordained later that year as a vicar,.

 

E. Carlton Nurse was elected as the first warden, and held the post until 1964 when William Watson took up the mantle

 

Reverend John Graham Murdock, was ordained at Resurrection. In the same year, the fiscal report showed Resurrection had a membership of 783, a school enrollment of 175 pupils, served by a staff of 20 teachers, under the supervision of Ernest Gillespie.

 

Reverend Harold Louis Wright resigned his post at Resurrection. Shortly thereafter, Father Wright was consecrated the first African-American Suffragan Bishop of the Diocese of the Diocese of New York

 

The Reverend Canon Kenneth E. McDonald became the second Rector of the Church of the Resurrection

 

Reverend Dr. Alvin E. Robinson was elected the Third Rector

 

Reverend Pierre-Andre served as Fourth Rector

 

The Reverend Canon Leopold C. Baynes and The Reverend Patrick Holdkamp served as interim priests until The Reverent Gilberto A Hinds was appointed in June 2015


OUR HISTORY

The Episcopal Church of Grace and Resurrection is new church family. These were two sepearate Episcopal churches in the Corona/East Elmhurst area (they were physically 6 blocks apart): The Church of Resurrection and Grace Episcopal Church. Both churches went through and consolidation exercise The Rev. Gilberto A. Hinds was assigned on June 1, 2015 as the Interim Priest at the impending merger of Church of the Resurrection, East Elmhurst and Grace Church, Corona, which held its last service on May 31, 2015. The first service of the combined congregations was held on Sunday, June 7, 2016.

 

The Rev. Gilberto A. Hinds was assigned on June 1, 2015 as the Interim Priest at the impending merger of Church of the Resurrection, East Elmhurst and Grace Church, Corona, which held its last service on May 31, 2015. The first service of the combined congregations was held on Sunday, June 7, 2016.

 

The first combined Vestry Meeting of both Grace Church, Corona (Closed) and the Church of the Resurrection was held on Monday, June 8, 2015.

 

Grace Church, Corona was deconsecrated by the Rt. Rev. Lawrence Provenzano on December 15, 2015.

Both vestries and congregations under the ministry of the Rev. Gilberto A. Hinds worshiped and worked diligently become one church in union with Christ. On May 16, 2016, The Episcopal Church of Grace and Resurrection was incorporated in the State of NY and in the Diocese of Long Island. 

 

Since that very first Eucharist on June 7, 2016 the Episcopal Church of Grace and Resurrection continues to grow in numbers and in Spirit. 



OUR PARISH FAMILY

Rev. Gilberto "Tony" A. Hinds

BRIAN LENARD / LEAD PASTOR

Brian has been with the church for 12 years and enjoys spending time with his family and hiking outdoors.

TOM DAUGHTRY / ADULT MINISTRY

LISA JONES / WORSHIP LEADER

.


WHY WE EXIST

Reach the lost and broken

Our mission is simply to reach the lost and broken, wherever they may be

Pray and Worship

Center and anchor everything we do with prayer

Grow as a Church

We strive to grow together as a church. Fellowship and growing together through God.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

We have many community outreach programs. Take a look below and see what your best fit would be.

  • ESL (English as Second Language)
  • Food Pantry
  • Tutorial Program
  • Brotherhood of St. Andrew

TESTIMONIALS